Friday, September 21, 2012

Social interactions with colleagues

I'm still trying to decide which interaction is more awkward:

A group swimming trip among colleagues: The act of stepping out of one's clothes to reveal a swimming suit to people who may be writing me letter in a year or less is always fraught for me. Its not that I am uncomfortable with my body. I have happily gone swimming in the buff with a female colleague I felt comfortable with. It is not a male female thing. I have gone as a support person with male colleagues to the university pool when he has wanted to learn to swim. It's a power thing. Something deep in my second X chromosome cringes at the act of undressing, or exposing myself in any way, to someone who has some control over my future.

Gossip about an ex-mentor's interactions with important people in my field who I may or may not still be on good terms with.

2 comments:

  1. Huh, it was not a priori obvious to me that having a beach trip on the off day at a conference would be a problem, but now that you say this, I see how it is likely to have a disproportionate impact.

    This is something I will keep in mind in future conference organizing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete