Friday, April 27, 2012

For mere mortals like us....

A student asked me after class how I would recommend studying for the midterm. I believe he's one of the freshmen in my class, so this was not an unreasonable question to have, even at the end of the year. I gave him some standard tips and advice for college exams.

"I asked Professor X the same question." Professor X had taught the a previous class in this sequence. "He told me that he never studied for exams."

What the ****?! How do you say that to a student?! Even (especially?) a highly motivated student who shows up early every day to a 9am class and sits in the front row?

"There are some people, many of whom become tenured professors at a school like this, who know the material well enough to never have to study. But for mere mortals like the rest of us, use the tips I gave you."

No comments:

Post a Comment